MFA Art 1996
California Institute of the Arts, Valencia, CA
BA Sociology & Art 1990
University of Missouri, Columbia, MO
Post Baccalaureate Studies 1990-1993
School of the Art Institute of Chicago
Painting & Sculpture Studies 1990-1993
Skinnskatteberg Art College, Skinnskatteberg, Sweden
2013 City of Los Angeles (C.O.L.A.) Fellowship
2012 Center for Cultural Innovation (CCI) ARC Grant
2010 Center for Cultural Innovation (CCI) Artistic Innovation Grant
2009 Kickstarter.com campaign for “Take Me to the Apple Breeder”
2007 Durfee Foundation completion grant for “Song to Snore,” Los Angeles, CA
2003 Bridge Residency, Headlands Center for the Arts, Sausalito, CA
2001 Durfee Foundation completion grant, Los Angeles, CA
2001 Metrolab, LA Metro Transportation Authority commissioned project grant
1996 California Institute of the Arts Scholarship and DAFCA Project Grant
1995 California Institute of the Arts Scholarship and DAFCA Project Grant
2015 a better nectar, California State University Long Beach Art Museum, CA
2014 Buzz Pollinate: Slits, Pores, and Valves, Theodore Payne Foundation, Los Angeles, CA
2013 take me to the apple breeder, Perlman Teaching Museum, Carleton College, Northfield, MN
2012 take me to the apple breeder, Jack Hanley Gallery
2012 take me to the apple breeder, Pasadena Museum of California Art, Pasadena, CA
2009 3 Solo Projects, Maltz Gallery, Otis College of Art and Design, Westchester, CA (catalogue)
2008 Song to Snore, Torrance Art Museum, curated by Kristina Newhouse, Torrance, CA
2006 CALL JAPAN!, with Christie Frields, curated by Roger Dickes, Glendale Community College, Glendale, CA
2005 Shifting Monuments, Matrushka, Los Angeles, CA
2004 Wooden Shores, curated by Brent Zerger, LAEyeworks, Los Angeles, CA
2002 Return Engagement to Garment City, 2-month site-specific theatrical artwork, Metro Transportation Authority selected subways and subway stations, Los Angeles, CA
2003 Wooden Shores, Space Gallery, Los Angeles, CA
2001 Stirs and Urges, London Street Projects, Los Angeles, CA
1996 Projected Completion, California Institute of the Arts, Valencia, CA
1995 Alfred P. Murrah Building, California Institute of the Arts, Valencia, CA
1994 Red Fascia, curated by Hamza Walker, Randolph Street Gallery, Chicago, IL
1993 Shielded, Lindesberg Bibliotek, Lindesberg, Sweden
Frieze Art Fair, New York, NY
Art Los Angeles Contemporary
Independent, New York, NY
Art Los Angeles Contemporary
NADA, Miami Beach
Frieze Art Fair, London
Pop Culture, Boca Museum of Art, Boca Raton, FL
heroes, co-organized with David McDonald, Carter & Citizen, LA
Something about a Tree, curated by Linda Yablonsky, Flag Art Foundation, NY
Weird Science, Jack Hanley Gallery, NY
Food for Thought, Chaffey College, Rancho Cucamonga, CA
The New Naturalists, Herron School of Art and Design, Indianapolis, IN
California Art: Selections from the Frederick R. Weisman Art Foundation, Pepperdine University, Malibu, CA
One Night Stand, Piazza Delle Cinque, Rome; Via Toscanella 11, Florence; Luxreest Vinice sas, Venice, Italy
Under the Influence of Fashion and Finance, Pepperdine University, Malibu, CA
Wonder Lands, Crossroads School, Sam Francis Gallery, Santa Monica, CA
Just Sculpture (damn it), Samuel Freeman Gallery, Santa Monica, CA
Art and Illusion, Susquehanna Art Museum, Harrisburg, PA; Roseville Arts, Roseville, CA;
Carnegie Art Museum, Oxnard, CA; originated in 2004 at Weisman Museum of Art, Pepperdine University, Malibu, CA
Art of Thought, City of Brea Art Gallery, Brea, CA
Photo and Fantasy, Beverly Hills Municipal Gallery; Carnegie Art Museum, Oxnard, CA; originated in 2006 at Pepperdine University, Malibu, CA
Made in California, Pepperdine University, Malibu, CA; originated in 2003 at Weisman Foundation Works, Cal. State-Bakersfield, CA (catalogue)
Eclectic Eye, Colorado Springs Fine Arts Center, CO; originated in 2007 at Contemporary Art Center, New Orleans, LA Juried Exhibition, curated by Annie Philbin, Gallery 825, Beverly Hills, CA
Accretion, curated by John O’Brien, Kellogg Gallery, California State PolytechniqueUniversity, Pomona, CA (catalogue)
Fair Exchange, Millard Sheets Gallery, curated by Irene Tsatsos, Pomona, CA (catalogue)
LA Art Scene, Beverly Hills Municipal Gallery, Beverly Hills, CA
SoCal Photo, Long Beach Arts, curated by George Dinhaupt, Long Beach, CA
Schindler Sashay, curated by Kimberli Meyer & Fritz Haeg, Mak Center for Art and Architecture, Los Angeles, CA
Mail-In Show, curated by Jim Ovelman, London Street Projects, Los Angeles, CA
Cross-Cuts, curated by Ann Ayres, Ben Maltz Gallery, Otis College of Art and Design, Westchester, CA
A Family Affair, show with parents Bill & Ann Dugan, Harlin Museum, West Plains, MO
Room Service, curated by Jeanne Patterson, Living Room, Santa Monica, CA
Concoctions, curated by Katie Silvers, Sidestreet Projects, Santa Monica, CA
Shot, George’s, Los Angeles, CA
In the Polka Dot Kitchen, curated by Ann Ayres, Otis College of Art and Design, Westchester, CA (catalogue)
Trans/Inter/Post: Hybrid Spaces, curated by Pamela Bailey, UC-Irvine, Irvine, CA
Hush, curated by Robert Jacobs, N.A.M.E. Gallery, Chicago, IL
Play, staging of Beckett play with director Noah Reibel, CalArts, Valencia, CA
Fashioned, performance fashion show, curated by Kimberli Meyer, CalArts, Valencia, CA
Juried Exhibition, Indiana State Arts Commission, NEA, Michigan City, IN
Animal Intimacies, Sam Francis Gallery, Los Angeles, CA
Dancing Through Life, The Art of Ann Sims Rath Dugan, 35 year retrospective including prints, drawings and collage, Harlin Museum, West Plains, MO
- Ellen Birrell, “Figures and Ground: Jessica Rath: take me to the apple breeder,” X-TRA review, Summer 2013.
- Marcel Hurtut, Ripe Prints featured at Untitled Prints and Editions, Printmaking LA, 2013.
- Ken Johnson, “Art in Review: Weird Science,” New York Times, Apr. 25, 2013.
- Nicola Twilley and Geoff Manaugh, “Of sisters and clones, an interview with Jessica Rath,” venue, a portable media rig and landscape research base, Feb. 2013.
- Holly Meyers, gallery review, Los Angeles Times, Feb. 15, 2013.
- Annie Tucker, “Jessica Rath turns the science of apple breeding into art,” LA Weekly, Dec. 6, 2012. 43.
- Emily Hall, “Jessica Rath at Jack Hanley,” Artforum, Nov., 2012. 278-79.
- Brienne Walsh, “Jessica Rath at Jack Hanley,” Art in America, Nov, 2012.
- Evan Kleiman, Interview, Good Food, KCRW Radio, Santa Monica, CA, Nov., 2012.
- Willy Blackmore, “Unnatural selection,” Tasting Table online, Nov. 2, 2012.
- Jessica Ritz, “Experimental Apples of Jessica Rath,” Artbound interview, KCET online, Oct. 22, 2012.
- Megan Gambino, “Sinfully Delicious Apple That You Should Never Try to Eat,” Smithsonian online, Oct. 5, 2012.
- Sam Dean, “The Art of Apples,” Bonappetit online, Sept. 6, 2012.
- Sheila Taylor, “Breaking Bread at the Wignall Museum,” ARTicles, Feb. 2012.
- Stacy Davies, “Consumption Junction,” Inland Empire Weekly, Feb. 29, 2012.
- Amanda Garris, “Art meets horticulture as photographer finds beauty in apple trees,” EZRA, Jun. 2011.
Amanda Garris, “Photo exhibit features Cornell genetics-generated apple architecture in silhouette,” Cornell University Chronicle, Jun. 2011.
- Andrew Simons, “Take Me to Your Apple Breeder,” LA Weekly, Oct. 12, 2010.
- Marideth Sisco, “Exhibit to Celebrate Art of Ann Dugan,” West Plains Daily Quill, Oct. 28, 2009.
- Leah Ollman, “3 Solo Projects Review,” LA Times, May 1, 2009.
- Meg Linton, 3 Solo Projects, catalogue, Otis College of Art and Design, Jun. 2009.
- Jim Farber, “System Sequence,” Daily Breeze, Feb. 1, 2008.
- Jon Leaver, “The LA County Fair: Paradise Lost,” x-tra comtemporary art quarterly, Spring 2007.
- Irene Tsatsos, Fair Exchange, The Souvenir Catalogue, 2006.
- Ron Athey, “Mak Daddies,” LA Weekly, Oct. 22-28, 2004.
- “A ‘Showdown’ on the Runway,” LA Times, Oct. 31, 2004.
- Charlene Roth, “Mail-In Show at LSP,” Artweek, Mar. 2004.
- Peter Frank and Billie Weisman, Made in California, Selected Works from the Frederick R. Weisman Art Foundation, catalog, 2003.
- “Return Ticket,” Public Art Review, Spring/Summer 2002.
- Claire Luna, “Art on the Move,” LA Times, May 2, 2002.
- Paul Birchall, “Return Engagement to Garment City,” L.A. Weekly, Feb. 14-20, 2002.
- Peter Frank, “Art Pick of the Week,” LA Weekly, Nov. 2-8, 2001.
- David Pagel, “Down to Earth and Eye-Catching,” LA Times, Oct. 16, 2001.
- “Daughter Sculpts Trenchcoats in Killing Poses,” West Plains Daily Quill, Sep. 4, 2000.
- Anne Ayres and Ingrid Calame, In the Polka Dot Kitchen, catalog, 1998.
- William Wilson, “Preserved with a Twist ‘In the Polka Dot Kitchen’,” LA Times, Oct. 20, 1998.
- Cathy Curtis, “Distinguished Marks,” LA Times, Oct. 22, 1996.
- “Haute Couture: Randolph Street Gallery Gets a Face Lift,” Chicago Reader, May 12, 1994.
publications by the artist
“Michael Arata review,” Sculpture Magazine, Aug 2012
“Rebecca Ripple: Orgy in the Sky,” feature for Sculpture Magazine, Dec 2010
Going, Going Going, 80 page retrospective catalog on artist Ann Dugan, (Rath’s mother) Oct 2009
“No Purchase Necessary,” feature on relational aesthetics and Artist Pension Trust artists), Insight, Vol. 4, Fall 2008
“Mom Talk,” interview with artist mothers, Walker Center for the Arts website, Summer 2007
“Talk Sun To Me,” a review of Alice Konitz at University Art Museum, CalState Long Beach, CA, ArtUS, January 2005
“Stand,” online essay of Christie Frield’s work, Glendale Community College website, April 2006
Garment City Register, mock period newspaper for Rath’s Return Engagement, Feb 2002
Visiting Artist Lecture, California Institute of the Arts, Valencia, CA
Visiting Artist Lecture, Art Center College of Art and Design, Pasadena, CA
take me to the apple breeder, panel discussion with curator Kristina Newhouse, apple breeder Dr. Susan Brown, Pasadena Museum of California Art, Pasadena, CA
take me to the apple breeder, panel discussion with curator Laurel Bradley, apple breeder Dr. Susan Brown, Perlman Teaching Museum, Carleton College, Northfield, MN
Foodprint Symposium, Los Angeles County Museum of Art, Los Angeles, CA
take me to the apple breeder lecture, Pasadena Museum of California Art, Pasadena
Tart and Tang: Beautiful Antiques to Eat, Wignall Museum, Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Apple Breeder, Visiting Artist Lectures, Chaffey College, Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Tedx talk, Valverde High School, ValVerde, CA
cookbook, Echopark, CA
Awards Panel, CCI ARC grants, Los Angeles, CA
Admissions Advisory, California Summer School for the Arts, Los Angeles, CA
Visiting Artist Lecture, California State University, Northridge, CA
Visiting Artist Lecture, Claremont Graduate University, Claremont, CA
Arts and Culture Lecturer, California Summer School for the Arts, Valencia, CA
Visiting Artist Lecture, East Los Angeles Community College, Los Angeles, CA
Visiting Artist Lecture, Art Center College of Art and Design, Pasadena, CA.
Casting Workshop, CalArts, Valencia, CA
Visiting Artist Lecture, Scripps College, Claremont, CA
Metropolitan Transportation Authority, Los Angeles, CA
Frederick R. Weisman Art Foundation, Los Angeles, CA
Visiting Faculty, Art Center College of Design, Pasadena, CA
Part-time faculty for Second Nature, six unit interdisciplinary studio/seminar hybrid with Laura Cooper and Jane McFadden; Professional Practices for Fine Art
Visiting Faculty, Chaffey College, Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Adjunct Faculty for Art 8: Contemporary Media, Art and Visual Language and Art 10: Fundamentals in 2D Design
Visiting Artist Faculty, California Institute of the Arts, Valencia, CA
Full time position teaching Sculpture and Independent Studies with undergraduate and graduate students.
Teacher, California Summer School for the Arts, Valencia, CA
Taught beginning sculpture and 3D foundation.
Freelance Writer, art reviews for Sculpture Magazine, APT, ArtUS; managing editor for International Documentary magazine; freelance editing for exhibition catalogues.
Cataloger, American Film Institute Catalog of Feature Films, Los Angeles
Researched, wrote and edited for this film scholarly encyclopedia.
Gallery Educator, Museum of Contemporary Art, Los Angeles, CA
Scripted materials, lectured and gave tours.
Graduate Teaching Assistant, California Institute of the Arts, Valencia, CA
Taught film criticism, sculpture and critiques.
Art Instructor, Oakwood High School, Los Angeles, CA
Taught 9-12 sculpture and drawing.
Sculptor’s Assistant to Neil Goodman and Frances Whitehead, Chicago, IL
Bronze foundry work and wire and paper sculpture.
Visiting Assistant Professor, Skinnskatteberg Art College, Sweden
Taught sculpture, figure and still life drawing, alternative fiber and watercolor.
Project Coordinator, “Culture in Action: Public Art Program, Chicago, IL
Worked with curator Mary J. Jacobs, Mark Dion, Suzanne Lacy.
Gallery Preparator, Jan Cicero Gallery & Objects Gallery, Chicago, IL
Handled shipping, repair and installation of drawings, paintings and sculpture.
classes and technical skills
Beginning Drawing, Figure, Still Life Drawing
Casting and Moldmaking
Alternative Fibers Class/ Machine and Hand Sewing
Arc/Mig welding, wire construction
Shop Skills: Drills, router, table, jig and ban saws
Plaster, stone and wood carving
Casting, directing, writing performance work